Priceline - Currency Switch Sneaky!

258 of 911 Priceline reviews

I'm from Vancouver Canada, my issue is with Priceline.com. I was looking on their site for a good deal on flights from Seattle, WA to Accra, Ghana. My dates are open so I chose May.12/15 to May/15. Right away a price comes back that I like very much, $1157.40 (I search many travels sites trying to find the best deal). After looking at the page carefully I find out that the prices are in US funds(I'm on an American site of course) so I decided to switch it to Canadian funds, (they have an option at the top right hand side of the page). After clicking on it, it starts searching (I'm thinking it is figuring out the current currency exchange rate on the Canadian dollar at the time) and after some time, it comes back with totally different results except in Canadian funds but they were for the same dates and same airports, the cheapest price that came back was for $1538.00. The flights that were for $1157.00 US was for Emirates Airlines and the flights for $1538.00 cdn (at the time, I used an online currency converter, $1538.00 cdn works out to $1304.77 US and not $1157.40)was with Delta Airlines or KLM, they totally took out the option for Emirates Airlines (which is clearly the cheapest flight even after you do the currency exchange) and gave me the higher price choice options just by changing from one currency to another. To me it seems like the company is trying to take advantage of our Canadian currency, correct me if I'm wrong.

As you can see in these photos, these were taken just after clicking on the currency changer at the top, I didn't change anything. So what I see is, they are penalizing you for changing currencies, you want to change currencies, you pay more and use another airline.

There is another review on the here who had the same problem, they were from Vancouver Canada as well and like their post, I used the online live chat and spoke to "someone". She said she "understood my concern" and she said "she would look into it", when she came back with a respond it was like "I'm sorry sir, you have to understand at the time of searching, there is no guarantee on prices because of the exchange rate and she said she could not go any further with explanation because of the time, I had to "call" back at a better time to speak to customer service. Like most businesses, they won't do anything, they will just say the norm ( I'm not going to repeat their words because it makes me angry)and nothing will be done anyway, supply and demand helps them, it is like talking to a wall. That's Capitalism!

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE PRICELINE, YEAH RIGHT!! NOT!!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• Their pricing policies

Reason of review:
Pricing issue
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Product or service
Flight Booking
Review category
Travel Agencies
review #578421

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Priceline? Submit review ›
Helpful? 3 Yes 3 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
258 of 911 Priceline reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
DontBeATwit

Sep 29, 2015 #1040734

Hey, even African gold scammers have to travel, right?

0 1 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Priceline. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Priceline.
Filing a new complaint about
×