I used Priceline to get a discounted hotel room in Hastings, Nebraska for 1 night. I did Hotel Express where you don't know the hotel, but the fine print said the category included Best Western and La Quinta. They gave me one night at Super 8 Motel and the price was $1.00 more than what Super 8 would have charged, had I walked in off the street.

Priceline said that they based their price off the Super 8 website listing which was $9.00 more. I told them that I didn't think that was much of a discount...roughly 8%. In the end, they gave me a coupon for $25.00 off my next Priceline purchase. It apparently comes with lots of restrictions and is good for 3 months.

If you use Priceline, please double check what the hotel will do for you. You might be better off talking to them directly. Priceline's deep discounts seem to be a bit random. Buyer Beware.

Oh and the customer service rep was very nice, but I was on the line for 30 minutes.

Comments

Toronto, Ontario, Canada #682906

We had the same issue for some rooms in Paris. Would have been better off booking directly with the hotel.

The problem with the Express deals is that they are opaque and you don't know which hotel to compare the rates against until after you purchase. Once Priceline charges your card, they won't do anything for you.

JLDeed
Dallas, Texas, United States #675437

It is always best to research it first before buying. It is a fluid business that changes often based on conditions.

These Hotels contract with the various websites travel agencies, so prices can be different from one place to another (and change again the next day).