Show reviews that mention
hotel customer service customer service price room reservation money book refund
Filter review

Don't use Priceline...ever!

Why in the world would anyone use Priceline.com? I inquired about airfare and a specific hotel in Costa Rica and was given a price for both. Later, I called the airlines myself and got a fare $400. below what priceline quoted and a much more convenient time. I then called the hotel (Lost Iquana) and got a better rate plus one night free! Priceline, like all the other so called discount travel agencies are a bunch of ripoffs who target the uniformed. Naming your own price a marketing gimmick and could not be further from the truth. Hope this helps someone in the future...stay away from Priceline and do it yourself. Pat

Sounds like "Pat" is lashing out as normal uninformed consumers do when they do not understand a website that is new to them.

Pat fails to include any specifics so its hard to comprehend exactly what happened. What we can conclude from his post is he was confused/mixed up on a couple issues, which means he is not comparing apples to apples.

For starters "Pat" references looking into a Vacation Pacakges which is a flight + hotel bundled together. Priceline does not allow you to bid or "name your own price" on a vacation package. You can ONLY "name your own price" on a hotel, or a flight, or a rental car all separately (you cannot bid for a cruise or a vacation package).

"Pat" also does not say when he wanted to travel, who he called, or how much time/days passed when he "later" checked. As regular travelers know prices change daily especially with the fuel surcharges we are seeing this summer.

Also, keep in mind priceline has a best price grantee on ALL there products as long as it is the exact same itnerary, which in this case clearly it was not.

Last, but not least in this day and age with internet savvy consumers (besides Pat) if a website did not offer valid services or competitive prices as they claim, they would not be in business very long. The fact that priceline continues to grow speaks that more and more consumers continue to find value in priceline's services.

-regular traveler

Actually, priceline is very useful, if you know how to best take advantage of it.

For starters, know what the cost of your trip is going to be by shopping it out - either doing what you did (caling the hotel and airline directly) or by shopping on other websites.

THEN you can use priceline to try and get a better price - naming a price under what you've been quoted.

The other thing that helps to make priceline useful (if you're comfortable doing so) is using it for last-minute reservations. This is where priceline shines - because hotels and airlines are, at that point, desperate to fill up "today's" empty seats/rooms.

To that end, if you can use priceline a few days before travel or even the same-day as you're traveling, the pricing gets VERY aggressive in a hurry.

Of course, priceline, at that point, shops around for the best bottom-line deal - which means being flexible. If you wanted a "specific" hotel/flight, as you state, it isn't for you. It's for travelers who can be flexible in their arrangements for a better price/deal.

View more comments (1)
ID

Priceline - Price line- name your own price is a big deceit!

My husband and I used priceline "name your own price " system. We read the rules and offered $140 for a resort in Scottsdale AZ, after we preformed a search in the website ( looked for resort in Scottsdale, got a list of 5 placed that are available in the dates we asked. 4 resorts cost more than $250 and 1 cost $114.) We offered $140 in order to get one of the 4 resorts which cost more than $250. We were shocked to see that we got the resort which its price on the website was $114. we didn't understood how can it be that they are promising up to 60% discount in "name your own price" and that I am paying $140 for a resort costs $114. We called them and said it's a deceit since you don't suppose to get hotel that its price is lower than your offer, but they just don't care and after speaking with 1 representative and customer relationship nothing was done. They kept saying that you can't cancel a deal that was done in "name your own price". None of the representative understood our complaint and that it's not reasonable that you get hotel which is cheaper than your offer. They cheat us and now we are paying $530 after tax and commissions (such a theft) for hotel which is worth much less than the price we are paying. The second thing is that they have the rule that if you find a cheaper deal they will refund you. We learned that you have only one opportunity to get a refund if you find a cheaper deal. and when we said that on their website the hotel costs $114, she said they will check our eligibility for refund, but than we said you can find it even cheaper in other websites and were told "sorry, there is only one chance to get refund and you used yours". We said that we told them about the $114 as a reference to the price we paid and not as the lowest price, but kept hearing "you have only one chance for getting refund". They are liars and cheaters!!! I would like to emphasis, that before making this deal, I cold priceline help line and asked if I am using "name your own price" and giving an amount which is higher than amounts that several hotel offer, does it mean that I will get only the one that there price is above my offer. The representative told us that he can't answer the question and that we'll read the rules in the website. We did read the rules and there was nothing specific about our question beside the fact that they are saying you can get up to 60% discount in "name your own price". The reasonable sense is that you are not suppose to get hotel which is cheaper than your offer. We would have never try this system if we new this is the case. They are not clear about how the system works and they are cheating people

Of course the one that is the cheapest is going to accept! They send the price to all the hotels in that star rating in this case all the resorts and then they can accept or deny. Of course the one that is lower is going to accept you can't out trick them by putting a higher price trying to get a better place.

The same rating - "RESORT"

What star rating is the 114 compared to the one with higher price?

View more comments (2)
Service
Priceline Customer Care

Priceline STOLE $960 from me

priceline charged me for a ticket after they said was not available, it took me 36 hours before an actual human would answer the phone. after sending an email guaranteeing immediate legal action, they responded with a simple "we cannot call you" and a tough luck attitude. I then got another email with a phone number that supposedly would put me directly on with a customer service manager. The number gave me the same *** message with the same annoying William Shatner greeting and yet another dead end automated machine. at this point I was fuming and decided to contact the bank once again. They considered the charge fraudulent on Priceline's behalf. simple mistake? I dont think so. Why is it so hard to contact anybody from priceline? Buying anything through priceline is a big mistake. I am sorry this company exists. save yourselves the aggravation, Dont use their asinine service.

Priceline = Worse Line

Just recently booked three tickets from Priceline. Within 2 minutes after the reservations, they refused to make any accommodations whatsoever.VERY UNHELPFUL!!!! I called the partnering airline and apparently Priceline is very good with the fine prints of the terms and conditions...They put a block to everything on earth possible to make sure we cannot upgrade, change, standby, etc. They will not accommodate you even if you have a medical reason. PLEASE do not book via Priceline ever ! hj kj klj kj l lkj nm, n,mn nlkn lkn,mn kjnlknlk kjlk km mlk ml kjlk jlkj lj l k

Thanks, after checking out some of the hotel rates for NY rates via these sites I think I will look into booking directly with a hotel, as opposed to going through a 3rd party site!

ps: I have used travelocity and expedia in past , and didn't have bad experience, but I want to make sure that I am getting the best possible rate!

This is a fact. Once you unwittingly book with Priceline, you give up your vote. You are screwed, glued and tatooted.

Best to do your own searches, using the hotel's direct website where they offer specials that exceed anything Orbit or Expedia or Priceline can offer!

View more comments (1)
Loss

Priceline/Hotwire you take the risks

everyone should know that these two "name your price" sites put all the risks on you. That is why you get a "deal". I recently booked on Priceline for a 4 night stay at a hotel. Car lost two tires from road debris and I did not arrive until next day. Hotel refused my stay even though I had 3 nights remaining. Hotel told me Priceline would not allow a check-in past the "regular" late check-in time. I called Priceline thinking they were the problem, only to have the hotel clerk admit that he refused to allow the remaining three nights.... not Priceline. That is why you buy 14.99 insurance. You get a deal but you take the risk, and in this economy, compassion is low.

Priceline - Will not reschedule reservation per hotel request

Due to state emergency in Tunica, MS (flooding and evacuations)My hotel contacted Priceline for them to contact their guests and reschedule reservations. Priceline person called me on 5/4/11 on my commute home to reschedule my stay or to call Connie at the Days Inn and reschedule. I called the Days inn but they were blocked out and told to call Priceline - this is when the horror begin. Priceline acted as if no one from there had called me and kept me on hold off and on for ~15 min. before telling me that it was in their contract and they could not reschedule. During the course of back and forth conversation I got so frustrated that I hung up
Loss

Hotel mistakenly charged me $70 less than priceline! price line says hotel errored.

I did not realize that Price line charged my credit card in advance (which I would never do)I thought I was using my credit card to simply book the room which I think is the normal course of business. I was also charged by the hotel in error and the hotel charged me $70 less than price Line! Price line would not refund me any difference and told me I got the discount rate! Their customer service people were useless and refused to help. What a scam! Do not use these guys no matter what they claim or say!!

Price line is the worst, but in this case they did not do anything suspect. Third party travel agencies charge hotels commissions to book rooms for them, so the rate you saw was what you paid to them menus commission.

Standard procedure really... I work at a hotel, I know.

Service
Priceline Room Booking

Priceline - Enraged customer

I am very pissed with this company!!! Basically I paid and made the booking ago and they suddenly emailed me saying my hotel room is no longer available because the hotel room is overbooked. Instead of bearing the operational risks, they transfer it to poor and helpless customers like me! BIG BULLY PRICELINE! Not only are they unethincal in breaching a contract, they offer me (a airport hotel 45 mins away)a biat and switch!!! After an hr on the answering machine, they customer service person says "sorry I cannot help you can complain to the VP Lisa Gillingham" what a response! I am not going to tolerant this kind of response of treatment- I would be happy and welcome any media (mag or newspaper or online news) contact me to do a reporting of bad press of this company about their treatment to their loyal customers. If they do not give me a satisfactory solutions- I guess helpless customer like me has to go to court with them!

The CEO should be reading the comments and responding to them In the absence of that maybe investment analysts should as complaints, and the way a company handles them, are a leading indicator of future financial performance.

Companies should make sure that EVERY person they have provide callers a full first and last name along with a direct phone number and access to receive confirmations from them.

ID

Priceline gave me a hotel in a different town.

I have used Priceline for a few years. Most of my results were good ones. This time however I am pissed. I was given a hotel that is not in the same town as stated on the map I selected. Apparently it is in the shaded area but the name of the map area does not include any other areas besides the town I selected. This hotel did not come up in the list of hotels for the city I selected. I know that the name your own price hotels are not necessarily the same as the ones on the alternate screen with the hotel listings BUT this is extremely misleading. When selecting an area map it should be labeled correctly indicating the town(s) that are included. I am going to try and dispute the cc charge. They need to be held accountable.
Loss

Priceline rating of hotels is way off.

I just requested a 4 star hotel with Priceline and the hotel is barely a 2.5/3 Star hotel. I actually have a friend in hotel business in Las Vegas and he comfirmed. So the supposed savings is off a 4 star hotel and then you get a 2.5/3 stars. Too bad with all the advertising Priceline does ...there is nothing like word of mouth advertising. I called customer service which is based off US soil. Communication was diffcult...I used to be a fan of Priceline ...now I will not use them in the future at all.